The Heart of Derbyshire campaign aims to improve the health of people in Derbyshire through healthier eating and has three elements:
- A Heart of Derbyshire membership scheme for catering businesses delivered by trading standards. Members of the scheme have pledged to offer healthier food or use healthier ingredients.
- A promotional campaign.
- A series of practical, free ‘Healthy Cooking on a Budget’ courses delivered by our adult community education service tutors to targeted groups across the county.
Heart of Derbyshire courses include:
- basic cooking skills
- an introduction to creating simple and balanced healthy meals making use of affordable, seasonal and fresh ingredients
- understanding the importance of food hygiene, storage and planning
- budgeting and food shopping advice.
Target groups include:
- adults with learning disabilities
- weight management groups
- elderly people
- food bank users
- families, especially those in deprived areas
- black and minority ethnic groups
- Brightside mental health
- those at risk of homelessness.
The funding for free cookery courses for 2017-18 has now ended. Find information on other cookery courses run by Derbyshire Adult Community Education Service and enter the word 'cookery' into the key words search.
If you'd like further information, please contact Nikki Wright email: email@example.com or tel: 07518 863860.