Over the next year parts of more than 325 roads will be resurfaced or surface dressed. During March and April this year our highways workers and an external contractor have been busy getting these roads ready to be resurfaced or surface dressed by filling in any potholes and fixing any defects.
Contractors will start on the road resurfacing programme on 17 May 2021, and on the surface dressing programme in July 2021.
Our Designate Cabinet Member for Highways Assets and Transport, Councillor Kewal Singh Athwal said:
“I’m delighted that this major programme of work is about to start.
“The £10m we will spend on resurfacing and surface dressing is part of the £40 million we announced we’d spend on our roads last year.
“Improving the roads is a major priority for the council, and this programme of improvements is just a start. Over the coming year we will also be carrying out work on pavements, drains, bridges and retaining walls.
“Our own teams have done much of the prep work needed, and we are using contractors to do the actual resurfacing and surface dressing.
“There will be some delays to road users and inconvenience to those who live locally, for which we apologise in advance. But we simply can’t spend this amount of money without causing delays and some inconvenience. All of the road resurfacing work will be done in the evenings, so we don’t affect the majority of road users."
Each month we will publish information about which roads will be resurfaced or surface dressed on our website. It will detail the jobs to be carried out in the coming month, and update on progress of those jobs scheduled for the previous month.
To make work more efficient the jobs have been grouped together, so that all those in an area are carried out around the same time.
During May and June the following road will be resurfaced:
- A6 Matlock Street, Bakewell, from Granby Road to Holywell junction
- A6 Haddon Road, Bakewell, from Haddon Road/Agricultural Way allotments to Intake Lane
- A6 (Dale Road), Matlock, from Snitterton Road to John Hadfield House
- Burlow Road, Buxton – from Heathfield Nook Road to Grinlow Road
- A6 Bakewell Road, Buxton from Morrisons roundabout to Fairfield Road
- A6187 Castleton Road, Hope, from Pindale Road to Edale Road and the junction with Marsh Avenue
- A6187 Castleton Road, Hope – from Railway Bridge to Warehouse Lane.
- A610 Market Place, Codnor – approaches to traffic lights
- A608 Derby Road, Langley Mill - roundabout outside Lidl, junction with Enterprise Way
- A609 Nottingham Road, Ilkeston – from County Boundary to Adam Street
More information on the exact times and dates are on the One network website. Work could be delayed slightly due to poor weather.