Adults aged between 40 and 60 are being encouraged to get to know their heart age by taking part in a free online Heart Age Test.
The short test, developed by Public Health England as part of the One You campaign, helps you determine if your heart is at a higher age than your actual age.
It does this by asking a variety of physical and lifestyle related questions, as well as recording blood pressure and cholesterol information.
Our Cabinet Member for Health and Communities, Councillor Carol Hart said:
“Having a heart age that is older than your actual age means you are at a higher risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
“These are the 2 main forms of cardiovascular disease which is the second leading cause of death in the country.
“Taking part in this short test means you can quickly identify if you might be at risk of developing a preventable heart condition.”
It’s estimated that over 50 deaths a day from heart attacks or strokes could be prevented if people had a better understanding of their heart health.
Modern life can make it tricky to be healthy, but making positive lifestyle choices can reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke.
This could be through stopping smoking, making healthier food choices or increasing the level of physical activity that you do.
Our Live Life Better Derbyshire healthy lifestyles service provides advice and support on how to achieve these goals.
This is a free programme that offers support to stop smoking, lose weight and get more active.
The Live Life Better Derbyshire team will be attending information events across Derbyshire throughout September.
Come and have your heart age tested at the following venues:
- 10 September 2018, Ashbourne Library from 12.30pm to 4pm
- 11 September 2018, Bolsover Library from 10am to 4pm
- 12 September 2018, Alfreton Library from 10am to 4pm
- 14 September 2018, Eckington Civic Centre from 10am to 4pm
- 14 September 2018, Swadlincote Library from 10am to 4pm
- 17 September 2018, Chesterfield Library from 10am to 4pm
- 18 September 2018, Buxton Library from 10am to 4pm
- 19 September 2018, Ilkeston Library from 10am to 4pm
- 21 September 2018, Dronfield Library from 10am to 4pm
The Heart Age Test has been completed 1.8 million times so far and 4 out of 5 of people who have taken part have a heart age higher than their chronological age.
Find out your heart age.