Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Openness at meetings

Our policy of openness at meetings.

The Local Government (Access to Information) Act says that council meetings should be open to the public and press (including agency and broadcasting journalists) except where 'confidential' or 'exempt' information would be revealed.

We put up notices at least 5 clear days before meetings. Normally we put them up at County Hall in Matlock. If meetings are called urgently, we put notices up at once.

If the meeting is to be elsewhere, we put up notices at the location as well as at County Hall.

We provide reasonable facilities for the press to take and make their reports.

Copies of the papers will be available for those attending the meeting.

Public 'question time' at council meetings

You can make your voice heard in the democratic process following the introduction of a 'Question Time'-style session during the full Council meetings. To be eligible your name must appear on the Derbyshire County Council register of electors, or be a Derbyshire Council Tax payer or non-domestic tax payer.

The 30-minute session opens up the decision-making process and encourage members of the public to have a greater voice in local service provision.

Council meetings are usually held on a Wednesday. To take part in the question-and-answer session, you should submit your question in writing by noon 3 working days before the meeting - that is, the previous Friday for a Wednesday Council meeting. This enables us to gather the necessary background information so that a full answer can be given. Questions are limited to 200 words in the interests of making the best use of the public question time. 

You will be invited to attend the meeting and ask your question to the relevant member of our Cabinet.

Questions are welcome about any issue that comes under our responsibility, or any issue that affects Derbyshire.

You should submit your question in writing to: 

Director of Legal Services
Derbyshire County Council
County Hall