Budgets and spending

This year councils with responsibility for providing adult care services were for the first time given Government permission to raise council tax by up to 2% in addition to the maximum 2% ordinarily permitted.

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government made an offer to adult social care authorities in his letter of 17 December 2015. "Adult social care authorities" are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014 ("adult social care functions"), namely county councils in England, districts councils for an area in England for which there is no county council, London borough councils, the Common Council of the City of London and the Council of the Isles of Scilly.

The offer was the option of an adult social care authority being able to increase its relevant basic amount of council tax for the financial year beginning in 2016 by an additional 2% without holding a referendum. This would assist in meeting expenditure on adult social care functions. 

Subject to the annual approval of the House of Commons, the Secretary of State intends to offer the option of setting this additional increase each year up to and including 2019-20. In relation to the financial year beginning in 2016 the Secretary of State has determined (and the House of Commons has approved) a referendum threshold of 4%. This compromises of 2% for expenditure on adult social care and 2% for other expenditure for adult social care authorities. These authorities may therefore increase their relevant basic amount of council tax up to this percentage in 2016 without holding a referendum.

Our agreed 3.99% increase in council tax in 2016-17 means an increase of £34.77 a year - or 67p a week - for a Band B property. Most homes in Derbyshire are Band A or B. The 3.99% includes 2.00% to support the delivery of adult social care duties and responsibilities in 2016-17, equivalent to the following:

A table to show council tax bands
Valuation BandCouncil
amount attributable to adult social care precept

In Derbyshire the extra 2% for adult care will raise £5m a year but this will only partially protect services as we're facing a £13m adult care cut this year.

We've agreed the 2% charge specifically to help pay for the following adult social care-related services:

  • Voluntary and community groups that provide the most benefit in helping older and vulnerable people to live safely and well in their own homes without relying on social care services.

  • Protecting the council's home care service which provides support to people at home so they can stay living independently for as long as possible. This service can help to reduce or prevent hospital admissions and also speed up hospital discharges.

  • Services that support people with dementia and their carers.

  • More use of assistive technology and specialist equipment, for example pressure pads and alarms.

  • Support services for younger adults with mental health issues and learning disabilities to help them live independently, prepare for independent living or a move to supported accommodation and help them learn new skills including support into employment where appropriate.

How your services are funded

Our gross budget is funded by 67% Government grants, 26% council tax and 7% cent other income.

Fire and police elements of council tax

If your query relates to the fire or police element of your council tax bill, you should contact the relevant authority:

Derbyshire Police Authority
Force Headquarters
Butterley Hall

Tel: 01773 570100

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service
The Old Hall
Burton Road
DE23 6EH

Tel: 01332 771221

Information on other websites