Energy grants

Here's our fuel fact file.

Energy schemes

Whilst fuel poverty in Derbyshire is lower than the average across England, there are still many households which need help to reduce their fuel bills and increase the energy efficiency of their homes.

Keeping an eye on your fuel costs

Householders can switch gas and electricity supplier to get better deals. Ofgem provides impartial advice about how to switch (opens in a new window). Further information and advice are available from the Everybody's Talking About Climate Change (opens in a new window) which also has contact details for district and borough councils.

If you rent your home, your landlord can't charge you for gas or electricity if you pay your supplier directly. Your landlord can only charge you for gas or electricity if your tenancy agreement says they can. Citizens Advice Bureau has more information on what your landlord can charge you for energy (opens in a new window).

Around 35% of Derbyshire households don't have mains gas and often rely on heating oil to keep their houses warm. These households can join Rural Action Derbyshire's Community Oil Buying Scheme (opens in a new window) which bulk buys oil and helps spread the cost across the year. For more information please email: or tel: 01629 592970.

Smart meters are gradually being installed in all households in the UK. These give you very detailed information about the energy you are using and the costs and can automatically send this information to your gas and electricity suppliers. Ofgem has more information about whether a smart meter might work for you (opens in a new window) as well as links to other useful websites such as the Citizens Advice Bureau (opens in a new window).

Energy grants and schemes

Under the Energy Company Obligation (ECO), big energy suppliers have to provide financial help for householders to have energy efficiency work done. This could be installing a more efficient boiler, loft or cavity wall insulation. For more information see Everybody's Talking About Climate Change (opens in a new window)

Citizens Advice Bureau (opens in a new window) have details of other services and grants available, including the Winter Fuel Payment, the Cold Weather Payment, the Warm Home Discount Scheme, the Priority Services Register.