Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

We're planning essential maintenance on Sunday 24 June 2018 from 8am to noon. It may cause disruption to the website. Apologies for any inconvenience.

close alert bar

Registering a stillbirth

A stillbirth must be registered in the district in which the birth occurred. If a stillbirth occurred in another district, a declaration can be made at any register office and forwarded on. If the stillbirth occurred in Derbyshire, you can register the death at any of our registration offices.

The registration must be completed within 3 months of the date of the stillbirth. 

Who can register the stillbirth?

If the parents are married to each other, then either may register the stillbirth. If the parents are not married to each other then they are advised to contact their local registration office for guidance or consult the General Register Office.

What documents will I need ?

You will need the medical certificate of stillbirth issued by the doctor or midwife present at the time.

To make an appointment to register a stillbirth please contact the relevant registration office.