Business advice leaflets
The vast majority of the law we enforce is described on Business Companion.
Business Companion (opens in a new window) is a user-friendly starting point to your query. It contains impartial, free information about the trading standards law affecting your business.
Business Companion is run nationally by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute and is government-backed. You can view the advice online, download guidance leaflets and register with the site to receive updates.
We also maintain a small number of specific business advice leaflets which might help you.
- Fair Trading - leaflets include information on illegal tobacco, used cars and selling at markets/car boots.
- Food - leaflets include information on food traceability and claims that food is 'local'.
- Safety - leaflets include information on the safety of toys, holiday accommodation, second hand goods and the sale of tobacco and alcohol.
- Weights and Measures - leaflets include information on coal merchants and public weighbridges.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Be aware of Illegal Tobacco! (123KB)
- Vehicle sales and safety (127KB)
- Code of Practice for Markets and Car Boot Sales. A guide for sellers (1286KB)
- Local food claims (121KB)
- Weight restrictions on bridges and rural roads (115KB)
- Appearing as a witness in court (108KB)
- Public weighbridge operators guidance notes (130KB)