Healthy workplace information for employees
If your employer decides to become a healthy workplace what does that mean for you? What are the benefits and how will it affect your working life?
We want to support and help you take small steps to make positive changes to becoming healthier and prevent the risk of becoming ill.
We have put together some top tips and information that give you simple advice to becoming healthier.
General health and wellbeing information
- NHS Choices workplace health has NHS information about workplace health.
- Fit for Work Programme is a line of support for GPs, employers and employees to help those who are in work and off sick. Fit for Work offers free, expert and impartial work related health advice to all.
Mental health and wellbeing
- Time to Changeis England's biggest anti stigma campaign to challenge mental health stigma and discrimination. It is run by the leading mental health charities Mind and Rethink Mental Illness. The Time to Change website has a wide range of information and resources that can be used within the workplace to promote and highlight this area of work. Raise awareness by using the posters, leaflets or logos that you can download from the site.
- Mental Health First Aid England is an educational course which teaches people how to identify, understand and help a person who may be developing a mental health problem. In the same way as we learn physical first aid, mental health first aid teaches you how to recognise those crucial warning signs of mental ill health.
- NDVA supports and represents health related voluntary organisations across Derbyshire. The NDVA website has an excellent database of local services, groups and voluntary organisations covering the whole of Derbyshire.
- Derbyshire Federation for Mental Health aims to improve mental health and promote independence for service users in Derbyshire. They provide specialist adult community mental health support services which includes: self-help groups, providing programmes to help people with mild to moderate mental ill health and telephone support.
- Rural Action Derbyshire supports people in rural communities, villages and market towns. It is a county-wide independent organisation and registered charity. Its services include suicide awareness training, Wheels to Work, and financial advice services.
- British Heart Foundation - Health at Work has a range of resources and information on how to get active at work and promote physical activity at work. The site has excellent tools, ideas and information to help with the promotion of physical activity in the workplace.
- NHS Choiceshas excellent information on how to increase your activity levels, has a range of toolkits to help get started and information on how much activity to do. There are a number of tools that will help you get started including downloads to start running, for example, from couch potato to five kilometres.
- The Active Derbyshire campaign aims to encourage and support people become more active by providing the information on how to get started, inspiring you to try new challenges and motivating you to carry on. It provides a comprehensive list of local information on where to get active across Derbyshire.
- Workplace Challenge - Derbyshire is a resource that aims to engage workplaces in sport and physical activity. The website allows individuals to log their levels of physical activity and active travel whilst competing with other workplaces, friends and colleagues. Throughout the year there will be local challenges organised to encourage workplaces to get involved.
Healthy eating and weight management
- British Heart Foundation eating well has a range of resources and information on how to eat well at work and the site has excellent tools, ideas and information to help with the promotion of healthy eating in the workplace.
- NHS Choices healthy eating has excellent information on how to increase healthy eating and tops tips on a wide range of healthy eating topics.
- Heart of Derbyshire aims to give customers a healthier choice when eating out or purchasing takeaways from Derbyshire caterers. It includes free cookery courses as part of the campaign.
- Live Life Better Derbyshire offers a fully comprehensive free weight management programme to support people to lose weight. There are courses delivered across Derbyshire from a range of local health, community and leisure venues. They offer both community and specialist weight management programmes for people aged 16+ who live in the county.
- NHS - Choices lose weight has general information and resources on how to lose weight.
- Live Life Better Derbyshire has information on where and what the local services are for Stop Smoking. There is a self-referral process into the services.