Academies and the LGPS
An Academy is a Scheduled Body under Schedule 2, Part 1 (20) of the Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations 2013: LGPS Regulations and Guidance.
Free schools, university technical colleges (UTCs) and studio schools are also academies set up under academy arrangements within Section 1 of the Academies Act 2010.
Academies are required by law to offer their non-teaching staff membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) under the terms of their funding agreement with the Secretary of State for Education. The Department for Education (DfE) issue a guide for schools which outlines the process of becoming an academy (opens in a new window)
The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has issued a document about academies and the LGPS which is attached to this page
Before conversion to academy status, schools should complete an application form to join the Derbyshire Pension Fund. This should be done as early as possible in the process.
The application form and other useful documents are attached to this page.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
The following document is in Word format. You can download software to view Word documents for free from the Word viewer page (opens in a new window) of the Microsoft website.
- DCLG academy arrangements and the Local Government Pension Scheme (149KB)
- Information for prospective academies (783KB)
- Important information for schools and academies - outsourcing (383KB)
- Application form for academies to join the Derbyshire Pension Fund (94KB)
- Derbyshire Pension Fund Employers Handbook (176KB)
- Employers newsletter 140 attachment one - An introduction to the LGPS for scheduled bodies (143KB)