Calculate your benefits
The online benefits calculator is designed for members of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) - except elected members whose benefits are based on career average pay.
Please be aware that the figures are only estimates and do not include any 'Rule of 85' protection. LGPS benefits from April 2014 are based on career average pay.
Please note that we are currently developing a new calculator which will take account of 'Rule of 85' protections to replace the current version, it is anticipated this will be available on this webpage at some point in the week commencing 15 September 2014.
You can use the current calculator in two ways:
- input some personal data from your latest annual benefit statement (your LGPS fund administrator issues these); or
- if you do not have an annual benefit statement, you can provide some basic information about yourself and your membership of the LGPS.
Before using the calculator
When entering your date of birth into the calculator, you need to choose the year of birth first, before the month, otherwise the calculator may not give you the option of the correct month.
The link below is to our LGPS 2014 calculator, which may help you forecast the level of your LGPS pension benefits at different ages and also if you change your working hours.
The projections in this calculator are estimates and are provided solely for illustration purposes. They do not represent any promise or guarantee as to the benefits you would have received from the current LGPS nor what you will receive from the new LGPS in England and Wales that started on 1 April 2014. The accuracy of the calculator depends on the data input especially whether information from a recent annual benefit statement is available.
The projections should not be regarded as the only consideration when making decisions in respect of your pension arrangements or wider financial planning and we strongly recommend that you get independent financial advice in relation to any financial decisions you wish to take.
Please note your LGPS pension benefits may be subject to overriding constraints imposed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Any changes made by HMRC or the Department for Communities and Local Government (the Government department responsible for the LGPS) may impact upon these projections.
Your benefit projections are shown in 'today's money' i.e. based on your current pensionable pay (or current full-time equivalent pensionable pay if you only work part-time). The projections are based on the new LGPS rules at the date of calculation.
The projections are based on the following assumptions:
- Your state pension age is based on the increases under the law as at 1 April 2014 and not those proposed by the Government.
- Your current working hours remain the same throughout your past service. These hours also apply to future service except where changed using the slider options.
- An approximate split of pre and post-2008 service is calculated based on the total service and working hours provided (if applicable).
- No allowance has been made for salary growth or CPI revaluation.
- Early/late retirement adjustments are the same on the previous and new LGPS.
- No allowance for transitional provisions on the introduction of the new LGPS including "Rule of 85" protection.
- No allowance for the 50:50 option in the new LGPS.
- No allowance for any additional contributions being paid, added years, pension credits.
If the assumptions change or your personal circumstances change, the projections will not take into account these changes.
The projections are not binding on Hymans Robertson LLP and Hymans Robertson is not responsible for any errors or omissions produced by use of the calculator.
If you need help using the benefits calculator form please contact us.