Calculate your benefits
The online benefits calculator is designed for members of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) - except elected councillors.
In order to use the calculator, you will need:
- your most recent Annual LGPS Personal Benefit Statement
- a recent payslip
- to know what your State Pension date is, this can worked out using the State Pension calculator (opens in a new window).
You may also find it useful to have a calculator.
The projections in this calculator are estimates and are provided solely for illustration purposes. They do not represent any promise or guarantee as to the benefits you would have received from the current LGPS nor what you will receive from the new LGPS in England and Wales that started on 1 April 2014. The accuracy of the calculator depends on the data that you input.
The projections should not be regarded as the only consideration when making decisions in respect of your pension arrangements or wider financial planning and we strongly recommend that you get independent financial advice in relation to any financial decisions you wish to take.
Please note your LGPS pension benefits will be subject to overriding constraints imposed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Any changes made by HMRC or the Department for Communities and Local Government (the Government department responsible for the LGPS) may impact upon these projections.
Your benefit projections are shown in 'today's money' i.e. based on your current pensionable pay (or current full-time equivalent pensionable pay if you only work part-time). The projections are based on the new LGPS rules at the date of calculation.
The projections are based on the following assumptions:
- Your current working hours remain the same throughout your past service. These hours also apply to future service.
- No allowance has been made for salary growth or cost of living increase (i.e. CPI revaluation).
- Early/late retirement adjustments do not change between the date of calculation and your chosen date of retirement.
- No allowance for any transfers in received on or after 1 April 2008.
- No allowance for any added years' service which began to be purchased after 1 October 2006.
- No allowance for any augmented service awarded on or after 1 April 2008.
- No allowance for the 50:50 option in the new LGPS.
- No allowance for any additional contributions (for example, AVCs, ARCs or APCs) being paid, added years, pension credits.
If the assumptions change or your personal circumstances change, the projections will not take into account these changes.
The calculator shows the LGPS benefits due both on an unreduced (for example, redundancy) and a reduced (for example, voluntary retirement) basis.
On retirement, you have the option to give up some of your yearly standard pension to receive a larger tax free lump sum. For every £1 of yearly pension you give up you will get an extra £12 of lump sum up to the maximum figure shown in the results. For example, if you give up £100 of your pension each year you will receive an extra £1,200 towards your tax free lump sum.
The results of the calculator show both the standard lump sum and yearly pension figures as well as the maximum permitted lump sum after conversion and the associated yearly pension figures. Before deciding whether to opt to reduce your yearly pension in order to obtain a larger lump sum, you may wish to take independent financial advice (the pension section cannot give advice).
If, once you have used the calculator, your unreduced (for example, redundancy) yearly pension is more than £50,000 per year, you may wish to contact the pension section for further details as you could be close to breaching the HMRC lifetime allowance limit.
The projections are not binding on Derbyshire County Council and Derbyshire County Council is not responsible for any errors or omissions produced by use of the calculator.
If you need help using the benefits calculator form please contact us.