Disposing of confidential information
Be careful when getting rid of confidential information as it can lead to information being leaked. This is a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 that can lead to disciplinary action.
Mistakes can easily happen when throwing away notes, photocopies and printed copies. Any papers you want to dispose of should be carefully checked for personal data.
Destroying information earlier than necessary may also be a breach of the law so it is important that you check your departmental retention periods before destroying any records.
It is important that we stick to the following guidelines when disposing of confidential information:
Check any paper waste that you throw away - anything that contains personal or sensitive information must be treated as confidential waste.
Your workspace will have either a blue confidential waste bin or a shredder for you to place confidential waste in.
Do not leave confidential waste bagged up in public areas.
Sensitive or personal information kept on USBs, DVDs, CDs, laptops and PCs must be destroyed by the service desk when no longer required.
When specialist disposal is required, items for disposal must only be passed to reputable companies that we have formal contractual agreements with.
Only use blue confidential waste bins or a shredder for all your paper waste. These bins are securely locked and any material placed inside will be safely shredded.
Electronic portable media (USB, DVD, CD, floppy disks, laptops, PC)
- To be destroyed by transformation service. Contact the service desk or information security team for advice on the correct procedure.
Commissionaires, ext: 36673 or tel: 01629 536673.
Service desk, ext: 37777.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Record disposal policy (91KB)
- Record disposal procedures (289KB)
- Records appraisal procedures (122KB)
- Scanning policy (740KB)
- Scanning Procedures (139KB)
- Secure destruction of optical and magnetic media procedures (105KB)
- Document and record control procedures (147KB)
- Confidential waste procedures (92KB)
- Corporate Records Management Policy (118KB)