Have fun, get fit and feel free! National Bike Week runs annually in mid June. During this week why not take to two wheels and enjoy the benefits of pedal power!
- Riding your bicycle to work is an effective way of increasing your daily physical activity and achieving health benefits.
- Regular cyclists enjoy a fitness level equal to that of a person ten years younger. (Source: National Forum for Coronary Heart Disease Foundation)
- Cycling at least twenty miles a week reduces the risk of heart disease to less than half that for non-cyclists who take no other exercise (Source: British Heart Foundation)
- During rush-hour, a bicycle is about twice as fast as a car.
- Bicycles produce absolutely no pollution - they are a lot quieter too.
- Bicycles don't incur any fuel costs - except perhaps a hearty breakfast or chocolate!
If you don't want to ride on the road, check out the bike hire facilities and trails at some of our countryside centres.
You can also download a Derbyshire cycle route map from the Greenways page.