Social care training and research

Our Adult Care Learning and Development section provides details of a variety of training courses and development opportunities. Courses are available to people working in social care, supporting adults living in Derbyshire.

Is there a cost?

Most courses are available free of charge. However there are occasions when we may have to charge a small fee such as when an examination or accreditation fee is payable, e.g. food hygiene and first aid courses. 

Standard of training

All our training is in line with national policies and guidance. In addition we are able to provide the opportunity for individuals to gain vocational qualifications through our partnership with City and Guilds.

We provide support to newly qualified social workers through our assessed supported year in employment (ASYE) programme and support continuous professional development for all staff.

Which course is right for you?

A course list is available on our website and this will give you information about course content so you can decide which is right for you or your staff.

How to apply

Applications for courses can be made by using the application forms on our apply page - these can be submitted either by post or electronically.

Children's social care training

If you work with children and are looking for training opportunities for children's social care then a range of opportunities are in our Working with children section. Contacts for each of these courses are given with the course information.

Safer Derbyshire training

Safer Derbyshire offer a wide range of free community safety training. For more information you can visit their website (opens in a new window).

Investors in People

Investors in People is a national award for organisations which improve quality through investment in the training and development of staff. We have a countywide Investors in People Award.

If you want more information about the work adult care undertakes for this award then please contact Ronnie Cope on 01629 532192 or by email You can also find out more about the Investors in People (opens in a new window) nationally by visiting their website.

Social Care Research

If you want to carry out research or consultation with clients, their carers, social care staff or with any of our contracted agencies you will need approval before starting your project. The process and application forms are available in our Social Care Research section. 

How useful did you find this page?

Not useful

Very useful

Thank you for rating this page

You can provide further feedback using our Contact us form