Mental health and wellbeing
Mental wellbeing can be simply described as feeling good and functioning well.
If you or someone you know is struggling with a mental health emergency please read the information on our support in a crisis.
Mental health is an important part of everyone's life and good mental health and wellbeing is directly linked to good physical health.
Positive mental health and wellbeing is also linked to increased life expectancy, improved quality of life, better educational achievement and improved employment prospects.
Mental illness can range from mild bouts of depression to severe conditions such as schizophrenia.
Each year one in four people will experience a mental health issue and the most common conditions are anxiety and depression.
On average one or two people in 100 will experience a severe mental illness.
Public health plays an important role in the prevention of mental health issues and the promotion of good mental wellbeing.
In this section you will find information about:
Support in a crisis
Who to contact if you, or someone you care about, is experiencing mental ill health and is in a crisis or emergency situation.
Information and contacts
Find local and national support and advice services on our Information and contacts page.
Emotional health and wellbeing
Emotional health, or mental wellbeing, is about how you're feeling and how well you can cope with your day to day life.
Young people's mental health
We work with lots of different people to help children and young people in Derbyshire improve their mental health and wellbeing.
We're working with a range of organisations to tackle the complex issues around suicide. Find out more about the work we're doing in Derbyshire.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Guide to Mental Health and Wellbeing (767KB)
- Derbyshire County Joint Vision and Strategic Direction of Travel for Adult Mental Health 2014-2019 (964KB)
- Derbyshire County Joint Vision and Strategic Direction for Mental Health - Report to Adult Care Board (39KB)
Also on our website
Information on other websites
- NHS Mental Health (opens in a new window)
- NHS five steps to mental wellbeing (opens in a new window)
- Mental Health Foundation (opens in a new window)
- Core Care Standards (opens in a new window)
- Mind (opens in a new window)
- Mindapples (opens in a new window)
- Time to Change (opens in a new window)
- NHS self help leaflets (opens in a new window)
- Living Life (opens in a new window)
- Carers in Derbyshire (opens in a new window)