Short break services for disabled childrenDisabled children and young people want to enjoy a range of activities with their friends and families.
We have a duty to provide short break services. For more information speak to someone who is already involved with your child like a therapist, special educational needs co-ordinator, nurse or social care worker.
We'll discuss with you the type of short break that will best meet your child's needs and agree how it will be provided - this is called an assessment.
If you do not receive a service at the moment you can contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.
Aiming High short breaks
These can be either:
- flexible one-to-one support for the child or young person or
- a one-off short break grant
Flexible one-to-one support
We can fund a carer who can help a child or young person to take part in an enjoyable activity out in the local community. Some children and young people might choose to go swimming or to a youth club, others enjoy activities at home.
Short break grant
Some families may choose to receive a one-off short break grant to pay for a fun, enjoyable break for the child and family, for example a family holiday.
Does my child qualify?
If you have a disabled child who needs higher levels of support, and doesn't already enjoy any short breaks or activities, you're probably entitled to help from Aiming High. Usually eligible children will have:
- An autistic spectrum condition, most likely with other impairments such as a severe learning disability or challenging behaviour
- Complex health needs
- Moving and handling needs that require equipment and adaptations
- Challenging behaviour linked to other impairments, such as a severe learning disability.
What if I need more support?
There are different levels of support as families needs change. We can provide short break services to children and young people who have complex needs, including overnight stays. This would follow a comprehensive assessment.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Activity Groups - Information for parents and carers 2014-15 (609KB)
- Overnight activity breaks information for parents and carers (646KB)
- Flexible one to one support information for parents and carers (1054KB)
- Breaks for carers of disabled children regulations (46KB)
- One to one flexible support and grant form (267KB)
- Short breaks statement review (2561KB)