Short break services for disabled children

Disabled children and young people want to enjoy a range of activities with their friends and families.

We have a duty to provide short break services. For more information speak to someone who is already involved with your child like a therapist, special educational needs coordinator, nurse or social care worker.

We'll discuss with you the type of short break that will best meet your child's needs and agree how it will be provided - this is called an assessment.

If you do not receive a service at the moment you can contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.

Aiming High short breaks

These can be either:

  • flexible one-to-one support for the child or young person or
  • a one-off short break grant.

Aiming High short breaks consultation

Between 19 February 2016 and 29 March 2016 a consultation took place on proposals that, if implemented, would cease the Aiming High Derbyshire Offer.

We received 64 responses to the consultation. We wish to thank everyone who took the time to respond.

At the Cabinet meeting held on the 24 May 2016 the decision was made to no longer provide Aiming High as part of the Derbyshire short breaks offer from 1 October 2016.

From 1 October 2016 short break services will only be available to disabled children and young people and their families following an assessment that identifies that short break support is necessary. Families seeking additional support will be advised to contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.

In the meantime, the current scheme will continue until 30 September 2016. The Derbyshire Local Offer (opens in a new window) contains details of the current Aiming High and also provides a range of information about activities and clubs that are accessible to disabled young people.

Flexible one-to-one support

We can fund a carer who can help a child or young person to take part in an enjoyable activity out in the local community. Some children and young people might choose to go swimming or to a youth club, others enjoy activities at home.

Short break grant

Some families may choose to receive a one-off short break grant to pay for a fun, enjoyable break for the child and family, for example a family holiday.

Does my child qualify?

If you have a disabled child who needs higher levels of support, and doesn't already enjoy any short breaks or activities, you're probably entitled to help from Aiming High. Usually eligible children will have:

  • an autistic spectrum condition, most likely with other impairments such as a severe learning disability or challenging behaviour 
  • complex health needs
  • moving and handling needs that require equipment and adaptations
  • challenging behaviour linked to other impairments, such as a severe learning disability.

What if I need more support?

There are different levels of support as families needs change. We can provide short break services to children and young people who have complex needs, including overnight stays. This would follow a comprehensive assessment.

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

Also on our website

How useful did you find this page?

Not useful

Very useful

Thank you for rating this page

You can provide further feedback using our Contact us form