Safeguarding vulnerable adults
We have a duty to keep vulnerable adults safe from abuse. We call this 'safeguarding'.
All health, social care, statutory and voluntary sector organisations have a responsibility to protect vulnerable adults. We work in partnership with a variety of organisations to put policies and systems in place to help keep people safe.
Derbyshire Safeguarding Adults Board (DSAB)
The Derbyshire Safeguarding Adults Board has a remit to steer and provide governance to joint arrangements for safeguarding vulnerable adults.
The Safer Derbyshire website has information on identifying and dealing with adult protection issues (opens in a new window) with links to relevant organisations. You can also find the Safeguarding Adults Policy on Safer Derbyshire.
The DSAB has three statutory partners:
- Derbyshire County Council
- Derbyshire Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs)
- Derbyshire Constabularly
It is recognised both nationally and locally that to be effective the Board needs to have wider membership and currently DSAB has the following representation:
- Derbyshire County Council Adult Care, Director
- Head of Public Protection, Derbyshire Constabulary
- Head of Adult Safeguarding (x4 Derbyshire Clinical Commissioning Groups)
- Chief Executive Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner
- Chief Executive, Healthwatch
- Derbyshire Carers
- Chief Nurse/Safeguarding Lead, Derbyshire Community Health Services
- Derbyshire County Council Head of Community Safety
- Chief Executive Age UK Derby and Derbyshire
- Counselling and Advocacy Team Leader, Disability Derbyshire
- Deputy Governor HMP Foston Hall
- Deputy Governor HMP Sudbury
- Derbyshire Mind
- Lead Nurse − Safeguarding Adults, Derbyshire Health United
- Housing/Environmental Health, (represented by Bolsover District Council)
- Designated Nurse Tameside, Glossop CCG
- Head of Clinical Leadership &Governance, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust NHS Chief Nurse Hardwick CCG
- Chief Nurse Erewash CCG
- Chief Nurse Southern Derbyshire CCG
- Chief Nurse and Quality Officer North Derbyshire CCGs
- Area Manager, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Derbyshire representative East Midlands Ambulance Service
- North Derbyshire Voluntary Action Chief Executive
- Director of Nursing, Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Safeguarding Lead, Royal Derby Teaching Hospitals
- Amber Valley Borough Council Housing (representing Housing/Environmental Health)
- Director of Nursing and Patient Experience Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust
- Operational Manager Public Protection, National Probation Service.
Advisors to the Board:
- Inspection Manager Care Quality Commission - Central
- Derbyshire County Council Legal Department.
For further information please visit the Safer Derbyshire website (opens in a new window).