Co-funding arrangements for non-residential services

The information on this page relates to non-residential services such as home care and day care.

If you require information about paying for care in a residential setting such as a care home, please see our charges and financial arrangements information in our accommodation and housing section.

Co-funding arrangements for non-residential services

Since April 2011 you are required to contribute to the cost of your care services from any non-means tested benefits and allowances you receive for your care needs, or from any significant capital. We call this co-funding.

Co-funding makes sure we can continue to offer help and support to the people who need it most - now and in the future. We think this is the fairest and best solution to protect the future of community care services in Derbyshire. 

It means you will have more choice and more control over the care you receive and who you get it from.

Your contribution

As part of the discussions about your needs and outcomes, your social worker will discuss co-funding and the contribution you will be asked to make. Page 12 of the co-funding leaflet attached to this page will help you work out what your contribution is likely to be.

Which care services does co-funding apply to?

All non-residential (not provided in a residential care home) adult care services, except those that are free. For example:

  • home care
  • day care
  • direct payment
  • assistive technology (telecare)
  • laundry
  • frozen meals.

Are any services still provided free of charge?

Yes, the following services are provided free. Clients who receive these services will not be required to make a contribution while they receive them:

  • re-ablement
  • intermediate care
  • services funded by the NHS under the continuing health care provisions
  • after-care services provided under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act
  • services, or a direct payment, received following a carer's assessment
  • services received for clients who are terminally ill.

Small pieces of equipment, such as toilet seat raisers, grab rails, perching stools, are also provided free of charge.

Who does co-funding apply to?

Co-funding applies to most adult care service users receiving non-residential services. This includes:

  • older people
  • clients with a physical disability
  • clients with a learning disability
  • clients with mental health problems.

How does co-funding affect carers?

We realise the important contribution carers make to supporting family and friends. With this in mind, where services are provided following a carers' assessment, we can use discretion and not request a financial contribution from the carer.

Want to know more?

Our co-funding leaflet attached to this page will answer your questions and explain the terms used in the co-funding process.

A video version of the co-funding fact sheet which combines British Sign Language, English subtitles and voice-over is available on the Adult Care YouTube channel (opens in a new window).

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

The following documents are in Excel format. You can download software to view Excel documents for free from the Excel viewer page (opens in a new window) of the Microsoft website.

How useful did you find this page?

Not useful

Very useful

Thank you for rating this page

You can provide further feedback using our Contact us form