Regain your independence - re-ablement
Home care re-ablement will support you to live in your own home and to learn or re-learn necessary skills for daily living.
Aims of the service
The service aims to:
- prevent or delay the need for people to use home care services
- reduce the level of home care services required by clients who need ongoing support
- reduce the number of clients who are admitted to hospital or a care home
- make sure clients are discharged from hospital in a timely manner
- provide a rapid response for clients in a crisis situation.
The service aims to help you do things for yourself rather than having things done for you, to encourage independence.
People who are assessed as being able to benefit from the re-ablement service will, subject to service availability, be referred to one of our area home care teams for a period of assessment and re-ablement.
The service will also be available to people who are already receiving support arranged by us, but whose needs have changed significantly, and where assessment identifies re-ablement would be beneficial.
The re-ablement service is 'free at the point of entry' for up to six weeks. However the service has a limited capacity. If the service capacity has been exceeded it will not be available and alternative care and support arrangements will need to be made. Those alternative arrangements will be subject to co-funding and you'll be required to contribute to the cost of those services.
You'll be actively supported and encouraged to take part as fully as possible deciding how the re-ablement service can support you. This will be achieved by looking at what is important to you and what you'd like to achieve. Outcomes could include, for example, improving self-care, regaining domestic skills, and building self confidence.
The service will be flexible and responsive to your needs. Re-ablement packages are personalised to take account of your lifestyle, preferences and choices.
The role of family members and carers will be respected and valued, and the importance of their contribution to re-ablement are fully recognised.
Your care needs will be continually assessed for up to six weeks. The support required will also be continuously reviewed in that period. As soon as it is felt that your full potential for independence has been reached, the service will cease. If at the end of your re-ablement period, ongoing care and support needs are identified, longer term services will be arranged. These will be subject to the relevant co-funding arrangements.
Outcomes for service users
- More people will be supported to improve their independence and quality of life.
- More people will be able to have choice and control over the services they need.
- The needs of those who require ongoing care will be more accurately identified before making decisions about longer term care needs.
Access the service
Access to the re-ablement service is subject to an assessment. Please contact Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)