Using health services

NHS Direct 111

The NHS provides a wide variety of health-related services.

More information and details about the services that are available where you live and a list of local GPs can be found on the NHS Choices website (opens in a new window)

The NHS in England is undergoing some big changes.

This will include the closure of primary care trusts (PCTs) and strategic health authorities (SHAs) and the introduction of clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) and Healthwatch (opens in a new window)

In Derbyshire the clinical commissioning groups are Hardwick CCG (opens in a new window), North Derbyshire CCG (opens in a new window), Erewash CCG (opens in a new window) and Southern Derbyshire CCG (opens in a new window).

Healthwatch is the new independent consumer champion created to gather and represent the views of the public.

NHS 111 service

This is a service that makes it easier for you to access local NHS healthcare services.

You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency.

NHS 111 is available 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully-trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses.

They will ask questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you to local services that can help you best.

Minor injury units

There are four minor injury units in Derbyshire, they are located in Darley Dale, Buxton, Ripley and Ilkeston. These units provide walk in services and are led by emergency nurse practitioners. The highly experienced staff can treat conditions such as:

  • sprains and strains
  • broken bones
  • wound infections
  • minor burns and scalds
  • minor head injuries
  • insect and animal bites
  • minor eye injuries
  • injuries to the back, shoulder and chest.

More information about these services (opens in a new window) can be found on the Derbyshire Community Health Services website. 

Wheelchairs and other mobility aids

For information on what equipment is available and where best to obtain it from, speak to your GP or practice nurse, your local pharmacist or social care professional.

The British Red Cross (opens in a new window) provides wheelchair hire and short-term loans of equipment to help people return to their own homes after a hospital stay.

Understanding health services

You can find out information about going into or coming out of hospital in our help to live at home section

Further information is also provided on our website about managing your medicine, dental care, help with health costs and continuing health care

Chesterfield Royal Hospital has produced a series of easy read patient information leaflets.

Need help with National Health Services

The NHS has its own complaints procedure, which is always the first step for any complaint.

You can find detailed information about the NHS complaints procedure on NHS Choices (opens in a new window).

You can also raise your concerns by getting in touch with:

NHS Complaints Advocacy Service

POhWER provide a free, independent and confidential advocacy service to support people with their NHS complaint.

Tel: 0300 456 2370 or the local Derbyshire number 0300 200 0084

POhWER has an online NHS Complaints Advocacy self help tool and downloadable self help leaflets in alternative languages.

Related documents

The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

Information on other websites

How useful did you find this page?

Not useful

Very useful

Thank you for rating this page

You can provide further feedback using our Contact us form