Hearing impaired people

Deafness or hearing impairment is when your hearing is affected by a condition or injury.

Hearing impairment is most common in older people but can happen at any age for a variety of reasons and some people are born with it.

If you have a hearing impairment you may find that some day-to-day activities are more difficult or you may need extra support. It might be that you need help with getting out and involved, or help to live at home. You may also find that technology can help to make some things easier.

If you feel you need more help, you may benefit from having an assessment for adult care services. This means that a social worker or community care worker will contact you and arrange to visit you to discuss your needs and how they can best be met. If you are found to be eligible for a service from us we will work with you to create a support plan that helps you to achieve your goals and outcomes.

There is a deaf service team made up of specialist workers who can give advice and work alongside your worker, if required, to ensure that you have access to all the support you need. They can also provide information, support and advice sessions to you and your families and carers at locations around the county. The deaf services team can also help if you have problems with sight as well as hearing, known as dual sensory loss. Please see the hearing impairment fact sheet attached to this page for more information or email: deafteam@derbyshire.gov.uk

To make a referral for an assessment, or for any other information, contact Call Derbyshire, email: contact.centre@derbyshire.gov.uk or tel: 01629 533190.

Information and advice days

You can now get information and advice about support and equipment closer to where you live.

Information and advice days will take place on the following days in the following places:

  • Chesterfield - Tuesdays, 10am to 12pm - Chesterfield Area Office, West Street, Chesterfield, S40 47Y
  • Clay Cross - Thursdays, 2pm to 4pm - Clay Cross Office, Market Street, Clay Cross, S45 9JE
  • Ilkeston - Mondays, 10am to 12pm - Ilkeston Library, Market Street, DE7 5RN
  • Ripley - Friday, 10am to 12pm - Hearing Help, Ripley, 156 Derby Road, DE5 8HU
  • Swadlincote - Wednesdays, 10am to 12pm - Swadlincote Library, Civic Way, Swadlincote, DE11 0AD

Please note that this service will not be provided on bank holidays.

If you think we need to have a duty day in your area please contact us.

If you need to contact someone for advice or support, you can contact us in the following ways:

  • Text: 86555 start your text with bsl then press space and then start your message
  • Fax: 01246 348889
  • Minicom: 01246 861852
  • Tel: 01629 533319
  • email: deafteam@derbyshire.gov.uk
  • Write to us:
    Deaf Team
    High Street
    Clay Cross
    S45 9JB

British Sign Language, voice over and subtitled videos

A series of videos, including the hearing impairments fact sheet and a guide to carers services, are now available on our YouTube playlist (opens in a new window).

SignLive online video interpreters

Customers who prefer to use British Sign Language can contact us using a SignLive video interpreter.

This service is available from Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm. It's free to contact us from your home.

You'll need to register the first time you use it. You'll also need:

  • a PC or Mac that runs Windows and has a webcam
  • a modern browser such as Google Chrome or Safari. Windows version 8 or 9 can be used but will need a plug in.
  • bandwidth of at least 256KBps upload and download (384KBps recommended).

To use SignLive:

  1. Go to SignLive BSL Live (opens in a new window)
  2. Tell the SignLive interpreter you are calling County Council Call Derbyshire
  3. You will be connected to an accessible customer advisor.

If you are deaf and have a social care need, information and advice about sign language is available via the contact numbers below.

North of the county:

  • Tel: 01246 347777
  • Textphone: 01246 277249

South of the county:

  • Tel: 01332 717567
  • Textphone: 01332 344358

An interpreting service is available from Communication Unlimited who can be contacted at:

If you have an acquired hearing loss please contact your local office.

Other organisations that could help you

Deaf and Hearing Support

Deaf and Hearing Support (opens in a new window) is a local voluntary organisation which supports people with hearing loss in the north of the county.

Wheatbridge Medical Centre
30 Wheatbridge Road
S40 2AB

Tel: 01246 555934
Minicom: 01246 555933

CamTad Southern Derbyshire

CamTad Southern Derbyshire (opens in a new window) is a local voluntary organisation which supports people with hearing loss in south Derbyshire.

London Road Community Hospital
London Road

Tel: 01332 258143

Hearing Help

Hearing Help (opens in a new window) is a local voluntary organisation which supports people with hearing loss in the Amber Valley area.

156 Derby Road

Tel: 01773 570976

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

Also on our website

Information on other websites