Accommodation and housing
There are many accommodation and housing options available to you in Derbyshire.
As people get older they're advised to start thinking about the housing needs they may need in later life, so that a hurried decision in a crisis can be avoided.
You can find information about:
- finding and choosing a care home, including current vacancies in Derbyshire
- community care centres for people with dementia
- Extra Care housing schemes
- short stays, short term care and respite
- housing related support
- getting help to live at home
- Shared Lives scheme and supported living for people with learning disabilities
- paying for care
District and borough councils and housing associations provide accommodation for older people including sheltered housing and housing that may have been adapted to suit the needs of people with mobility problems. To be considered for accommodation you need to register with your local housing department.
- Chesterfield Borough Council (opens in a new window) tel: 01246 345345
- Amber Valley Borough Council (opens in a new window) tel: 01773 570222
- Bolsover District Council (opens in a new window) tel: 01246 242424
- Derbyshire Dales District Council (opens in a new window) tel: 01629 761100
- Erewash borough council (opens in a new window) tel: 0115 9072244
- High Peak Borough Council (opens in a new window) tel: 01298 28430
- North East Derbyshire District Council (opens in a new window) tel: 01246 231111
- South Derbyshire District Council (opens in a new window) tel: 01283 595795.
In addition to district and borough councils there are housing associations working within the county that have accommodation suitable for older people. Your local district or borough councils may have details of the associations covering your area on their website or you can contact them by phone to ask.
Home options is a scheme that enables people currently living in council or housing association accommodation to apply to transfer to more suitable accommodation. It also allows people living in private housing to register with a district or borough council to apply for vacant social housing properties. You can contact your local borough or district council using the phone numbers and links on this page to apply.