Accommodation & housing

There are many accommodation and housing options available to you in Derbyshire. We provide information and guidance for making decisions about your housing needs.

As people get older they're advised to start thinking about the housing needs they may need in later life, so that a hurried decision in a crisis can be avoided.

If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness, you must always in the first instance, contact your local district or borough council

Sheltered housing

District and borough councils and housing associations provide accommodation for older people including sheltered housing and housing that may have been adapted to suit the needs of people with mobility problems. To be considered for accommodation you need to register with your local housing department.

In addition to district and borough councils there are housing associations working within the county that have accommodation suitable for older people. Many of these can be accessed via the district and borough councils or can be contacted directly.

You can find the contact numbers in the organisations that can help you on the choices available

Housing related support

Derbyshire Accommodation and Support Team fund housing related support services to enable vulnerable people to achieve or maintain independent living in the community. At any one time, more than 24,000 people in Derbyshire may be supported through the funding of these services.

A wide range of vulnerable people receive housing related support funded services, including:

  • people with mental ill health
  • people with learning disabilities
  • young people (age 16 to 24) including teenage parents, care leavers and ex-offenders, people with drug or alcohol problems
  • older people (age 55 plus)
  • high risk serious offenders
  • Handy Van  
  • Crisis Service
  • Assistive Equipment and Home Adaptations
  • Technology Enabled Care − Community Alarms

The types of services available are:

  • floating support - support that can be delivered to service users living in any type of home - private, rented or local housing authority home
  • accommodation based supported housing - for people who need temporary accommodation to enable them to get the appropriate level of support.

The support available can consist of:

  • setting up and managing your home
  • keeping your home safe
  • organising adaptations
  • dealing with forms and letters
  • managing your money /debts and arrears
  • access to training or employment
  • develop independent living skills

Accessing the service

The service provider directory attached to this page helps you find a service near to you and appropriate to your needs. Please contact the service provider directly.

Using the contact details in the service directory you should contact the housing related support service provider directly to discuss your needs.

Fairer charging

Services are subject to availability and may require a fairer charging assessment.

The leaflet attached to this page explains in more detail the fairer charging financial assessment process and answers some frequently asked questions.

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing provides self contained, accessible apartments for older people with the benefit of on-site, 24-hour care and support services. There are currently four council supported schemes in the county and more in development. Extra Care Housing is designed to be affordable to everyone who needs it. The amount you pay will vary depending on your individual situation and your income. You may have to pay all of the costs, or you may be entitled to benefits to cover some, or all of the charges.

Supported living

This type of accommodation enables a person with learning disabilities, or other disabilities, to live with a group of others in the community while receiving assistance as required from support workers. There's more information about supported living in the independent living section.

Shared lives

Shared Lives enables a person with a disability to live with a family who can provide them with support. This can be short term or long term.

Home options

This is a scheme that enables people currently living in council or housing association accommodation to apply to transfer to more suitable accommodation. It also allows people who have registered with a district or borough council for social housing to apply for vacant properties.

Help to live in your own home

If you're struggling to manage in your own home and would like some support you can contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190 to discuss your needs with a specialist worker. They can advise you about support and services that may be available to help you to remain independent.

Complaint, comment or compliment

If you have a complaint, comment or compliment about adult care services then please see our complaints process

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

Also on our website

Information on other websites