What records do we have?
We have a vast collection of original documents relating to Derbyshire, including Derbyshire parish records.
You can pre-order up to three archival documents before you arrive at Derbyshire Record Office. If you know the document reference numbers, you can order by email: email@example.com tel: 01629 538347 or giving us at least 24 hours notice.
Original documents held at Derbyshire Record Office include:
Derbyshire public bodies
Derbyshire County Council and our predecessor the County Quarter Sessions, including electoral registers between 1832-1999.
Derby Borough Sessions, local councils and their predecessors the Petty Sessions, including cemetery records from 1855 to the present.
Hospitals and workhouses; police and local courts; schools and FE institutions.
Diocesan and Derbyshire parish records
Diocese of Derby official records.
Registers and other records for over 400 Anglican parishes, including baptism, marriage and burial registers from the 16th century onwards used by family historians.
- registers of baptisms, marriages and burials in non-conformist chapels from the 17th century onwards
- archives from Derbyshire industries, businesses, societies, charities, estates, families and voluntary groups
- manuscript and printed plans from the 17th century onwards including estate plans, tithe maps, enclosure maps and early ordnance survey maps
- manorial records, as described on the Manorial Documents Register (opens in a new window) and the manorial records guide.
All the records we hold are arranged into collections, for example, by school or business.
Within these collections, each item is individually referenced and catalogues are available containing descriptions of each item.
We have a number of guides to find the reference numbers for specific items.
Record office guide
The record office guide is a comprehensive guide containing summary information to all the collections we hold.
The reference number in brackets can then be used to search for fuller descriptions in the online catalogue.
We advise most customers to begin here when conducting research in Derbyshire.
We are currently working on a project to make all our collection catalogues available online.
However, please appreciate that we have thousands of catalogues, and the project will be take some time.
You can search by reference number, collection title or keyword.
We have a searchable database of wills that we hold from between 1858 and 1928.
Although the wills themselves cannot be viewed online, copies can be ordered for a small fee.
Derbyshire prisoner records
This is a searchable database of prisoners in the County Gaol and houses of correction between 1729 and 1875.
County Quarter Sessions
You can use a range of transcripts and indexes to the County Quarter sessions records online or in our searchroom.
A-Z guides of holdings
Guides are also available for download on this page containing details of holdings for:
- Derbyshire parish registers
- non-conformist registers
- cemetery records
- historical maps.
We now hold an extensive collection of local newspapers.
Amongst these you may find:
- crimes, trials and coroners' reports
- births, marriages, deaths
- farm and property auctions, bankruptcies
- election addresses and political meetings
- sporting fixtures and reports.
Most newspapers are only available on microfilm. To book a microfilm reader, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01629 536579
We also have online access to the Infotrac database, which provides access to:
- The Times Archive, 1785 to 1985
- a collection of 19th century local newspapers from around the country
- a collection of 17th and 18th century newspapers and news media
- 12 national newspapers from 1985 to date.
A full list of newspapers available throughout Derbyshire Libraries can be found on the local newspapers page.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Parish Register Guide (328KB)
- Parish Register List (1248KB)
- Nonconformist Guide (993KB)
- Non-conformist register list (187KB)
- Cemetery Records Guide (64KB)
- Introduction to maps (75KB)
- How to use the Record Office Catalogue (152KB)
- Record Office Guide - sample searches (47KB)
- Record Office Guide and Catalogue - research technique (241KB)
- Tracing your family's roots in Derbyshire (109KB)
- Tracing House and Building History in Derbyshire (101KB)
- Manorial Records Guide (2488KB)