Local studies at New Mills Library
The Local Studies collection is of general Derbyshire interest, including many of the standard county histories.
There is a complete file of the Derbyshire Archaeological Journal from 1879. In addition there is a wealth of material relating specifically to the New Mills area. This includes a useful collection of booklets on various aspects of the history of New Mills published by the Local History Society. Disley, Marple and Manchester are also covered, together with some general histories of Lancashire and Cheshire.
A complete set of Derbyshire directories is available on microfiche from 1808 to 1977 and some original directories are also held. A microfilm reader printer makes it possible to take copies instantly from materials on microfilm.
The library has a small collection of old photographs of New Mills and a photographic survey by New Mills Local History Society in 1993 produced a collection of 109 photographs showing New Mills at work.
Current and 1924 edition large scale 6 inch OS maps of the New Mills area are held, and first and second editions, 1880 and 1898, 25 inch maps of North Derbyshire are available on microfilm. Also on microfilm are the Tithe Award and map of 1841 for the township of Beard, Ollerset, Whitle and Thornsett, and 19th century railway plans relating to the New Mills area. Other maps of interest are a set of 40 photocopies of New Mills coal mine abandonment plans, 1872 to 1941.
Census Enumerators' Returns, 1841 to 1901 for New Mills and surrounding area, including Rowarth, Thornsett, Mellor, Disley, Furness Vale and Hayfield are available on microfilm. 1981 and 1991 census ward profiles for New Mills are held.
Local newspapers are available on microfilm:
- Ashton/High Peak Reporter 1887 to 1998
- Buxton Advertiser 1998 to present
- Glossop Record 1859 to 1871
Chapel-en-le-Frith, Whaley Bridge, New Mills and Hayfield Advertiser June 1877 to September 1881
High Peak Advertiser 1881 to 1937.
In addition, a news cuttings file on New Mills has been maintained since 1986.
The library houses the archives of the New Mills Local History Society and has a number of other items of interest to the local and family historian. These include microfilm of the Hibbert Journals: the writings of Alderman James Hibbert of New Mills for the period 1900-1905, copied from original volumes held in the Town Hall. There is also a large collection of pedigrees of various branches of the Stafford family.
Parish Registers are available on microfilm for the following churches:
- Bethel Chapel Hayfield, Baptisms 1903 to 1955
- Brookbottom Methodist Church, 1874 to 1931
- Low Leighton Quaker Meeting House Index of burials
- New Mills St George's Parish Church, Baptisms 1880 to Sep 1925, Marriages 1837 to 1947, Burials 1895 to 1949
Glossop Wesleyan Chapel, Baptisms, 1813-1837
- Hayfield Parish Church, Baptisms 1622 to 1648, Marriages 1622 to 1648, 1746-1759, Banns 1837 to 1872, Burials 1622 to 1648, 1666 to 1854
- New Mills Wesleyan Chapel, Baptisms 1794 to 1937
- New Mills Independent, Baptisms 1830 to 1837
- Providence Chapel, Burials 1832 to 1837.