Breastfeeding welcome in libraries
We aim to create an atmosphere in which breastfeeding mothers may feel comfortable and relaxed when using our libraries and we have a "Breastfeeding Welcome Here" pledge to support this.
Our commitment to breastfeeding mothers:
- we acknowledge and support the rights of women to breastfeed their children within the library
- we will respond in a positive manner when our support is required
- if a mother wishes to breastfeed her baby in private, we will advise her of the facilities available and do our best to provide her with a quiet space to do so
- if a mother is happy to feed her baby in a public area, we will offer her a chair for her comfort and convenience
- we will ensure that our pledge is carried out in all libraries
- we will display our commitment to "Breastfeeding Welcome Here" in all libraries by raising awareness amongst our users
- we will not ask the breastfeeding mother to stop or move to another area of the library if we receive complaints from other library users.
The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)