Online information resources
All library members have free access to these quality information databases and websites from home. All you need is your borrower number from your library card, or register with an email address and password.
If you're not yet a library member find out how to join
Additional databases are available from your local library.
The online information websites you can use from home are listed.
To login to each site you need to type DCC followed by your library card number, which can be found on your library card, b_line or Gold card.
The only exception is the Life in Britain website. Just use your library card number for these sites.
Register for the Learn my Way website using your email address as a username and create a password of your choice.
- Search the complete catalogue of British Standards and view in full text.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica (opens in a new window) enjoy instant access to every topic imaginable. There is something for everyone. History, music, animals, news, science, biography and more.
- Go Citizen is an online study resource for candidates preparing for the Life in the UK test or British citizenship test.
- You can search the Guardian and Observer Newspaper Archives to help you with your family history, research or homework.
- Infotrac Newspapers gives you access to 13 national newspapers from 1985 to the present and 50 journals and periodicals. The Times Newspaper Archive 1785 to 1985 is also included as well as a collection of 19th century British newspapers held by the British Library. It also includes the Derby Mercury, the county's most important newspaper for the period. The Burney Collection, these newspapers and news pamphlets represent the largest single collection of 17th and 18th century English news media.
- Learn My Way (opens in a new window) has free courses on using a computer, browsing the web, sending an email and finding work online.
- Life in Britain is an essential guide for those wanting to apply for British citizenship or settlement.
- Oxford Dictionaries Pro has online dictionaries, thesauruses and much more.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography has more than 50,000 biographies of people who shaped the history of the British Isles and beyond, from the earliest times to the year 2002.
- Oxford English Dictionary has the very last word on the English language. It contains the meaning, history and pronunciation of over half a million words.
- Oxford Reference Online is a world of information with over 100 dictionary, language, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
- Theory Test Pro is a simulation of the UK's driving theory test. It contains the entire official test question bank, hazard perception video clips and the Highway Code. All this material is licensed from the Driving Standards Agency.
- Universal Skills helps with finding work, creating CVs and job skills.
You can also reserve and renew your library books, CDs and DVDs online using our online library catalogue