Middleton Top Countryside Centre
The Middleton Top Countryside Centre is situated on the High Peak Trail, Middleton by Wirksworth.
Middleton Top, as you might expect, is at the top of a hill and offers delightful views of the surrounding countryside.
This site has a visitor centre, gift shop and cycle hire centre, car park, toilets and picnic area. Whether on foot, horse or bike it is an ideal place to start your visit along the beautiful High Peak Trail.
It houses the restored steam engine house built in 1829 by the Butterley Company to haul wagons up the Middleton incline.
The Middleton Top Engine House is open to the public on certain afternoons.
The countryside centre sells a range of books, maps, leaflets and gifts, along with hot and cold drinks, ice creams and snacks. There are plenty of places nearby to enjoy a scenic picnic including Redhill Quarry Nature Reserve located behind Middleton Top. Here you will find wildflowers growing in abundance in the summer, including several species of orchid.
Summer opening hours
- Easter to August: 9.30am to 4.45pm
- September to October: weekends only and October half term.
Winter opening hours
- Weekends only, November to Easter: 9.30am to 4.15pm.
- Bridleway/Horse riding trail
- Picnic area
- Woodland with public access
- Wildlife area
- Light refreshments
- Easy access for all
- On-site information
- Camping/Caravan site
- Children's play area
- Nature trail
- Events area
- Cycle path
- Middleton Top Countryside Centre
Middleton by Wirksworth
- 01629 823204
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Four circuit walks from Middleton Top (972KB)
- Four circuit walks around High Peak Junction and Cromford Canal (880KB)
- Steam times 2015 (103KB)
- Middleton Top opening hours (60KB)
- Middleton Top car park (360KB)