Shipley Country Park facilities and history
With all that's on offer, and 1,000 years of history, we hope that your visit to Shipley Country Park will be enjoyable.
What do we have at Shipley Country Park?
- visitor centre, play areas, wildlife garden and more
- wildlife and nature
- toilets and Changing Place
- Access for all
- facilities for caravan rallies
- room hire
- 700 acres and 20 miles of quiet paths and bridleways.
Our facilities provide opportunities for walking, cycling, horse riding, angling, exercising, jogging, dog walking, health walking, wayfaring, kite-flying, picnicking, photography, bird watching, exploring the park, geocaching and much more!
For further information about these activities please visit our things to do page.
A map of Shipley Country Park is attached to this page.
If you require this document in another format please contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.
The history of Shipley Country Park
The Shipley Estate is an ancient manor mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086), when it was recorded as belonging to Gilbert of Ghent, the nephew of William the Conqueror. Records dating from the 14th century show that the land was used as a sporting estate with a hunting lodge on Shipley Hill and the area was prized for its extensive forest and excellent hunting.
Shipley Country Park has long had an association with coal mining, however, from the mid 1500s, coal mining began to play an increasingly important part in shaping the landscape at Shipley and providing income for the owners. By 1722 coal mining was in full swing on the estate, and around 1765 the Miller Mundy family took over the running of the mines themselves.
With the death of Alfred Edward Miller Mundy in 1920, the Shipley Colliery Company (founded by the Miller Mundy family) took over complete control of the mines and ran them until nationalisation in 1947.
The Woodside and Coppice pits continued in production until the 1960's when they were closed because they were uneconomic. This brought a close to over 250 years of deep mining at Shipley and left behind a legacy of spoil heaps, derelict buildings, polluted lakes and 30 abandoned mine shafts.
We determined that a country park was a suitable memorial to mining in the area. The National Coal Board obtained permission in 1970 to reclaim the land in the vicinity of the closed collieries by opencast methods. Work started in 1970 and was completed by July 1974. A further two years were spent contouring the site, seeding fields and meadows, planting trees and constructing facilities for the public.
Shipley Country Park opened to the public on 26 May 1976.
The following history and heritage leaflets are available at the visitor centre:
- The Mining Heritage of Shipley Country Park
- The History of Shipley Hall
- The Gardens of Shipley Hall booklet
- The Nutbrook Canal.
A small charge applies for some of these leaflets.
For further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the visitor centre tel: 01629 533991.
The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)