Grassmoor Country Park
Just three miles from Chesterfield, Grassmoor Country Park sits at the northern end of the Five Pits Trail. It is a lovely spot for strolling or picnicking among large open meadows all year round.
Our well-loved Grassmoor Country Park is about to have a significant improvement, courtesy of the Grassmoor Lagoons project.
The lagoons were formed in spoil tips at the former Grassmoor Colliery, which operated on the site from the 1840s until its closure in 1967. This project aims to turn these polluted lagoons into a recreational site for the whole community to use.
How to find us
You will find this country park close to junction 29 on the M1. From the A617 take the B6039 through Temple Normanton then turn right onto Birkin Lane.
There is a free car park off Birkin Lane, between Temple Normanton and Grassmoor village (Ordnance Survey grid ref SK412 672). Horse box parking is also available here (for information about our horse box parking scheme please contact Clay Cross Countryside Centre).
Much of the country park is on level ground with surfaced tracks for easier access. Grassmoor is a good starting point for walkers, horse riders and cyclists to explore further along the trail.
What you might see
The park is a haven for a wide variety of wildlife:
- Look for the elusive water voles around the ponds and listen for the 'plop' as it drops into the water.
- You might see harmless grass snakes basking in the sun or swimming in the ponds.
- The meadows are great for butterflies and you might see a Six Spot Burnet Moth, one of many that flies in the day.
- Look above the meadows and see if you can hear Skylarks and Meadow Pipits.
- If you are lucky you may also see a Kestrel hovering in the air searching for voles or field mice below.
The illustrated map attached to this page will help you find your way around the country park.
Fishing is allowed on the large pond and this is managed by Williamthorpe Angling Club. The pond is available for fishing all year round. Day tickets (£5) are available from the bailiffs.
For membership information please contact:
- Bridleway/Horse riding trail
- Picnic area
- Woodland with public access
- Wildlife area
- Light refreshments
- Easy access for all
- On-site information
- Camping/Caravan site
- Children's play area
- Nature trail
- Events area
- Cycle path
Grassmoor Country Park
- Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)