Pedal Peak Phase II − moving up a gear
Pedal Peak ll is an exciting £7.5m project to improve cycling for leisure and day to day journeys. Four new cycle routes will be created which will take cyclists and walkers into and through the Peak District National Park from the surrounding urban areas.
The project was awarded £5m from the Government's National Park Cycling Ambition Fund managed by the Department for Transport in August 2013 and the five authorities involved in the bid are putting in £2.5m. The authorities are us, Peak District National Park Authority, Staffordshire County Council, Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council and Sheffield City Council.
The current funding for the project needs to be spent by March 2016.
Pedal Peak ll includes four main schemes and a fund to support local cycling:
- the White Peak Loop will connect the Monsal and High Peak Trails into Matlock and Buxton
- the Little Don Link skirts the edge of the Peak District from Sheffield along a disused railway to join the Trans Pennine Trail in Barnsley
- the Staffordshire Moorlands Link uses the Caldon Canal towpath and signed on road routes to link Stoke on Trent with the Manifold Trail and the Roaches
- the Hope Valley Link complements the Little John Route, a Sustrans signed Sheffield to Manchester route across the National Park by providing a new off road section along the Hope Valley
- the Cycle Friendly Places Grant Fund will help create cycling friendly places along the routes.
The project aims to:
- put three and a half million people in reach of the cycle network in the National Park
- provide continuous routes into and within National Park
- provide a sustainable boost to tourism and the rural economy
- encourage more people to cycle to help people lead healthier lives but also to reduce road congestion.
Extra funding has become available and a further £1.5m has been awarded to Staffordshire County Council to complete the Staffordshire Moorlands Link. We have also been successful in attracting an extra £430,000 through a grant bid which was submitted to the Department for Transport in early January 2015 to provide an additional highway link onto the White Peak Loop in Matlock and to extend the scope of the Cycle Friendly Places Grant Fund. Information about this additional bid is attached to this page.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Pedal Peak ll newsletter December 2016 (2390KB)
- Pedal Peak ll newsletter May 2016 (1304KB)
- Pedal Peak ll newsletter January 2016 (1109KB)
- Pedal Peak II newsletter August 2015 (309KB)
- Pedal Peak ll newsletter March 2015 (110KB)
- Pedal Peak ll newsletter December 2014 (104KB)
- Pedal Peak ll newsletter August 2014 (412KB)
- Pedal Peak II additional bid to DfT January 2015 - project proposals (672KB)
- Pedal Peak Phase II DfT bid document (2190KB)