Visit Buxton Museum and Art Gallery to discover the geology, archaeology and history of the Peak District. Find out more in our collections.
Please note that the Wonders of the Peak time tunnel will be closed for refurbishment until Spring 2017 - but there's always something new to see in our changing programme of exhibitions and new things to experience in our events and workshops.
Our latest venture, Collections in the Landscape, is transforming the way visitors can access the collections, both in the museum and online. To find out more or get involved visit our dedicated project page or blog (opens in a new window).
From 4 January 2016 until Spring 2017 the Wonders of the Peak gallery will be closed for redevelopment. However, visitors will soon be able to access our Project Space to discover what we're doing, see behind the scenes, and find out how to get involved in the project.
You can also join our mailing list to find out more.
- Monday: closed (except summer bank holidays)
- Tuesday to Friday: 9.30am to 5.30pm
- Saturday: 9.30am to 5pm
- Sundays and bank holidays from Easter to end of September: 10.30am to 5pm
Visit our shop
We stock colourful minerals, fascinating fossils and gift items made from decorative stones as well as local history and special interest books.
Tel: 01629 533540
Buxton Museum and Art Gallery
Finding us by bus or train
Alight at Market Place and walk approximately 300 metres towards the town centre. The museum is on the right hand side.
There are frequent trains to Buxton from Stockport. The museum is about seven minutes' walk from the train station, following signs for the Market Place and museum.
Information on other websites
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery Facebook page (opens in a new window)
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery Twitter page (opens in a new window)
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery Blog (opens in a new window)
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery Flickr page (opens in a new window)