Buxton Museum and Art Gallery
Discover the archaeology, geology, art and history of the Peak District.
Buxton Museum and Art Gallery reopened after its redevelopment on Tuesday 6 June 2017.
The focus of the refreshed museum is Wonders of the Peak - a journey through time and place, with more objects on display than ever before. The official launch will be in September 2017, but we hope you'll enjoy testing the gallery with us over the summer months while we complete work on the new displays.
We're putting more of our collections online and creating a responsive website so you can tour the landscape using your smartphone or tablet (opens in a new window). Early versions are available to test.
You'll also enjoy a brighter foyer with new displays about Buxton, souvenirs inspired by our collections and a lift improving access to the first floor.
We'd like to say a big thank you to all the supporters who have made this happen including:
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- Arts Council England
- Wolfson Foundation
- Paul Mellon Centre for British Art
- Museum Development East Midlands
- Bingham Trust
- Friends of Buxton Museum and Art Gallery
- our visitors, volunteers, partners and contractors.
We couldn't have done this without you!
What you can see at the museum
Wonders of the Peak - a journey through time and place, where you can explore Peak District lives and landscapes.
Boyd Dawkins Study − the recreated Victorian study of archaeologist and geologist William Boyd Dawkins, where you can discover more about local collectors and their collections.
Contact usBuxton Museum and Art Gallery
Tel: 01629 533540
Information on other websites
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery on Facebook (opens in a new window)
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery on Twitter (opens in a new window)
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery blog (opens in a new window)
- Buxton Museum and Art Gallery on Flickr (opens in a new window)