Your child may need to move schools at a time other than when they start infant, junior, primary or secondary school. This may be because you're moving address.
What you'll need to apply for an "in-year" admission to a school
We've produced a guide to help you understand the in-year admission process and the sort of things you'll need to consider as well as what information we will need from you.
You can find the guide in the related documents section of this web page and you should read this before applying online or through one of the other methods.
Who do I apply to?
When applying for a school place you must apply through the council covering the area in which you live - your 'home' council. This may not be the same as the area where the school is.
If you are moving from another council area into Derbyshire an application will be accepted as a 'home' request when you are able to provide evidence of exchange of contracts on the purchase of a property or a signed rental agreement.
If you don't live in Derbyshire you can use the local council search on DirectGov (opens in a new window) (opens in a new window) to find your home council
Applications for places in early year settings, nursery schools and post 16 provision should be made direct to the establishment.
Apply online to change schools
You can apply online to change schools at a time other than when your child is due to start infant, junior, primary or secondary school. We call this an in-year application for admission to school.
- Apply online for an in-year admission to a primary school (opens in a new window)
- Apply online for an in-year admission to a secondary school (opens in a new window)
You can also apply by telephone by ringing Call Derbyshire on 08456 058 058. Alternatively call the Admissions and Appeals Team on 01629 537499 for a paper application form (Form AF5) to be sent to you.
If you are unable to obtain a place for your child in the school you wanted you can appeal against the decision. See our appeals web page for more information and to appeal online.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- In-year application guidance notes (September 2011) (158KB)
- In-year application form (86KB)
- How to apply for a primary, infant or junior school place - parents' guide 2012/2013 (1626KB)
- How to apply for a place at secondary school - a guide for parents (1916KB)
Also on our website
- School names and addresses
- Apply for a secondary school place
- Primary, infant and junior school admissions