Changing schools

Your child may need to move schools at a time other than when they start infant, junior, primary or secondary school. This may be because you're moving address.

What you'll need to apply for an in-year admission to a school

We've produced a guide to help you understand the in-year admission process and the sort of things you'll need to consider as well as what information we will need from you.

You can find the guide attached to this page and you should read this before applying.

Who to apply to

When applying for a school place you should contact the council where the school is located. You can find contact details for other councils on the Directgov website (opens in a new window).

If you want to apply for a place at a school in Derbyshire you can do this online. There is useful guidance attached to this page to help you through the process. We can't accept applications earlier than one term in advance of when the place is required.

Applications for places in early year settings, nursery schools and post 16 provision should be made direct to the establishment.

Apply online to change schools

You can apply online to change schools at a time other than when your child is due to start infant, junior, primary or secondary school. We call this an in-year application for admission to school.

You can also apply by ringing Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190. Or call us for a paper application form (form AF5), tel: 01629 537499.


If you are unable to obtain a place for your child in the school you wanted you can appeal against the decision

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

Also on our website