Cromford Wharf Shed
Formally the place where goods were transferred between the railway and the waterways, the Cromford Wharf Shed now provides self catering accommodation and activity facilities for groups.
A place of major historical significance and a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), the Wharf Shed is owned by us and is operated as part of Lea Green Learning and Development Centre, which is located about two miles away in Lea.
The Cromford Wharf Shed is available to schools, youth and adult groups and, to commercial organisations during certain periods.
It offers unrivalled opportunities to host outdoor, cultural, historical, environmental or adventure courses.
History of Cromford Wharf Shed
Originally the Cromford Wharf Shed was the terminus of the Cromford and High Peak Railway, where goods were transferred from canal barges to railway wagons.
Cromford Canal was completed in 1794 and linked Sir Richard Arkwright's mills to the national waterway system. The rail system, which is one of the world's earliest railways, was built in the 1830s.
It is no surprise that the building is scheduled as an ancient monument and sits in the middle of one of the UNESCO world heritage sites.
Converted to a residential centre in the early 70s, the Wharf Shed was completely refurbished in 2004 and now provides excellent facilities and accommodation for groups of up to 24 people, plus four leaders.