Free nursery education entitlement for two year olds
Your child may be entitled for up to 15 hours per week of free early years education funding, starting the term after their second birthday.
Who is eligible?
- Families who are in receipt of one or more of the identified benefits below:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of the State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit* and/or Working Tax Credit, and have an annual income (as assessed by HMRC) that does not exceed £16,190
*As of January 2014 this criteria now includes Low Income Families
- Children in care
- Children with a current statement of special educational needs or an education, health and care plan
- Children who have left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order
- Children in receipt of Disability Living Allowance
In addition to these statutory criteria Derbyshire has included additional eligibility groups including:
- Children of care leavers
- Children from Traveller communities
- Children of teenage parents
- Children who have a child protection plan (Section 47)
- Children in need (Section 17)
What will my child get?
Your child will be entitled to up to a maximum of 15 hours per week during term time, or up to a maximum of 11 hours per week all year round. You have the choice of either option as long as your needs can be met with your chosen early years education provider.
When is my child eligible?
If you meet the criteria, your child will be entitled to the free place from the term following their second birthday.
If your child was born between 1 January and 31 March you are entitled to the place from the Easter term (term five)
If your child was born between 1 April and 31 August you are entitled to the place from the September term (term one)
If your child was born between 1 September and 31 December you are entitled to the place from the January term (term three).
Where can my child attend?
You can choose any early years education provider within Derbyshire, who has signed an agreement with us to deliver early years education for two-year-olds, this includes pre-schools, day nurseries and childminders.
There is also the option to use a maintained (school) nursery for the final term of funding (this must be the term in which your child has their third birthday).
You can search for free early education places (opens in a new window) or contact Call Derbyshire 01629 533190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I apply for the funding?
All you will need to do is telephone the childcare improvement service on 01629 539319 or 01629 539316 who will carry out an eligibility check for you.
You will need to provide us with information, such as your name, date of birth, national insurance number, address and telephone number, along with your child's name and date of birth, which will enable us to carry out an on-line eligibility check using the DfE's eligibility checking service.
If this result shows you are eligible, we will put this information onto a verification form which will then be sent to you for you to check, sign and return to us with photocopies of identification as detailed on the form. Once this identification has been checked, we will then issue a funding approval letter which you can take to the provider of your choice and make arrangements for your child to start.
If you have any queries or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact the childcare improvement service on 01629 539319 or 01629 539316.