Heart of Derbyshire and free cookery courses to promote healthy eating on a budget
Heart of Derbyshire and free courses to promote healthy eating on a budget.
The Heart of Derbyshire campaign aims to improve the health of people in Derbyshire through healthier eating and has three elements:
- A Heart of Derbyshire membership scheme for catering businesses delivered by trading standards. Members of the scheme have pledged to offer healthier food or use healthier ingredients.
- A promotional campaign.
- A series of practical, free 'Healthy Cooking on a Budget' courses delivered by our adult community education service tutors to targeted groups across the county.
The Heart of Derbyshire courses include:
- basic cooking skills
- an introduction to creating simple and balanced healthy meals making use of affordable, seasonal and fresh ingredients
- understanding the importance of food hygiene, storage and planning
- budgeting and food shopping advice.
Target groups include:
- adults with learning disabilities
- weight management groups
- elderly people
- food bank users
- families, especially those in deprived areas
- black and minority ethnic groups
- Brightside mental health
- those at risk of homelessness.
Cookery courses will be rolled out across the county from May 2017 to March 2018. Courses are designed to be approximately six sessions of two hours (12 hours) in length but the delivery can be varied to meet the needs and availability of groups wanting the training.
If you are interested, or work with people in these target groups who are interested in having a free cookery course, or would like further information, please contact Nikki Wright email: email@example.com or tel: 07518 863860.
The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)