Customer Care Charter
We aim to improve life for local people by delivering high quality services and to meet this aim we follow the Putting People First customer care charter.
The charter sets out our response policy for contact with us by telephone, email, letter or in person.
It also gives guidance on how council staff are expected to behave and how we receive and deal with complaints and praise.
Our putting people first customer care charter
As a county council employee you should:
- Try to provide services to local people when and where they want them.
- Be polite, helpful, open and honest in all your dealings with members of the public.
- Treat everyone fairly and equally.
- Be clean, tidy and dress appropriately for your job.
- Provide local people with clear information about our services in plain language.
If you are contacted by telephone you should:
- Answer the call within five rings.
- Give the caller your name and your department or service.
- Transfer your calls if you are out of the office.
- Try to deal with the enquiry within one working day.
If you are contacted by letter, fax, or email you should:
- Acknowledge emails within 24 hours.
- Reply to letters, faxes and emails within 10 working days.
- Be happy to respond by telephone, fax, letter or email.
- Be clear and use plain language.
- Use Braille, large print and different languages when asked. See more on requesting information in alternative formats.
If you arrange a meeting with a member of the public you should:
- Welcome the visitor on arrival.
- Be prompt and keep any delays down to a maximum of 10 minutes.
If you visit a client in their own home you should:
- Be prompt and keep delays down to a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Show your identification badge on arrival.
Ask for feedback on the services you have provided:
- Information on comments and complaints is available on the website or as a leaflet from reception or an administrative officer.
If the client has made a complaint we will:
- Acknowledge the complaint within five working days.
- Investigate it.
- Provide a written response within 20 working days.
Each service may also have additional care standards.
The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)