Members allowances scheme
All our elected councillors and co-opted members appointed to certain committees are paid allowances.
You're entitled to know exactly how much each councillor receives and the type of allowances they're paid.
The level of the allowance is recommended by an independent panel made up of suitable people from outside the council.
Some councillors may also be paid an extra amount, known as a special responsibility allowance, for their work in an important post, such as the leader of the council, cabinet member and the chairman and vice chairman of different committees.
Both the basic and special responsibility allowances are taxable and subject to National Insurance.
Travel is payable to councillors on official duties. The vast majority of expenditure is for travel to and from County Hall in Matlock.
The variation in payments between councillors tends to reflect both how far they live from County Hall and the different roles they have on the council.
We have a legal obligation to publish an annual statement of basic, special and attendance allowances paid to councillors during a financial year. This also includes travel and subsistence allowances.
The information is attached to this page.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
The following documents are in Word format. You can download software to view Word documents for free from the Word viewer page (opens in a new window) of the Microsoft website.
- Members Allowances Scheme 2017-2018 (108KB)
- Members Allowances Notice (57KB)
- IRP Report (352KB)
- Payments to members 2016-2017 (20KB)
- Payments to Members 2015-16 (28KB)
- Payments to Members 2014-15 (21KB)
- Payments to Members 2013-14 (24KB)
- Members Allowances 2012-2013 (19KB)
- Members allowances 2011-12 (224KB)
- Payments to Members with job profiles 2011-12 (19KB)
- Payments to Members 2011-12 in ascending values (19KB)
- Report of the Independent Remuneration Panel - January 2012 (86KB)
- Report of the Independent Remuneration Panel - January 2011 (100KB)
- Payments to Members-2010/11 (29KB)
- Payments to Members-2009/10 (23KB)
- Payments to Members-2008/09 (22KB)
- Payments to Members-2007/08 (16KB)
- Payments to Members-2006/07 (16KB)
- Payments to Members-2005/06 (18KB)
- Payments to Members-2004/05 (15KB)
- Payments to Members-2003/04 (11KB)
- Payments to Members-2002/03 (11KB)
- Payments to Members-2001/02 (16KB)
- Payments to Members-2000/01 (10KB)
- Payments to Members-1999/00 (14KB)
- TR16 Members claim form 1/4/06 (364KB)