Youth Offending Service
Derbyshire Youth Offending Service (YOS) work with young people and their communities to tackle youth crime in Derbyshire.
We supervise and support young people aged 10 to 17 who have committed offences, and work with them to help prevent further offending.
We are a partnership between Derbyshire County Council's Children and Younger Adults department (including the education service), Derbyshire Constabulary, Derbyshire Probation Trust and NHS Derbyshire.
Our work can be split between the supervision of convicted offenders and working to prevent youth crime. The latest Youth Justice Plan is available in the related documents section.
The Pre-Court Team (previously known as Youth Inclusion Support Partnership) work with eight to 17 year olds who are at risk of becoming involved in anti-social or offending behaviour. They primarily work with young people who are one or more of the following:
- Known to the police, ASB Officers or housing providers
- In receipt of warning letters for their behaviour from police/housing/council
- Being considered for an Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC) or currently on one
- In receipt of, or at risk of being given a Youth Restorative Disposal (also known as RJ's)
- In receipt of a reprimand or final warning.
The above list is not exhaustive, so please discuss potential referrals with the Pre-Court Team. Involvement of the team has to be in agreement with the parent/carer and the young person.
We have many opportunities for members of the community who wish to contribute to our work.
Volunteering with Derbyshire YOS enables members of the community to contribute to working with young people at risk of offending and allows them to get involved in solving community problems. It also creates a positive link between the community and these young people.
Volunteering opportunities with us include:
- Referral order panel - panel members meet with young people and their families to agree a contract as part of a court order. Victims may also be invited along to attend these panels.
- Sporting Futures - young people are encouraged to get involved with a range of sporting activities supported by our volunteers.
- Buddy Plus+ Mentoring - young people are encouraged to spend time discussing problems with a volunteer mentor.
Anyone interested in volunteering should contact one of the local Youth Offending Team offices. Contact details are in the useful document section, or alternatively:
Contact Head Quarters
Tel: 01629 538233
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)