Sources of business and consumer advice about allergens.
Business and consumer advice
Food Standards Agency
The Food Standards Agency has produced resources for allergen (opens in a new window) which includes online training and guidance leaflets for businesses and consumers.
The 'Allergen information for loose foods' leaflet has been translated into a further nine languages. They are attached to this page.
Allergen management and labelling for pre-packed foods (May contain labelling) (opens in a new window) provides best practice guidance on managing food allergens with particular reference to avoiding cross-contamination and using appropriate advisory labelling.
Safer food, better business (SFBB) (opens in a new window) is an innovative and practical approach to food safety management. It has been developed to help small businesses put in place food safety management procedures and comply with food hygiene regulations. SFBB includes advice about allergens management.
Business Companion (opens in a new window) has a wide range of leaflets on a variety of Trading Standards matters. Further information on allergens can be found in the food section.
A food allergens risk assessment poster is attached to this page.
Allergytraining.com (opens in a new window) is an organisation set up by specialists in their field to provide bespoke and accredited allergy courses and allergen management consultancy to the food industry.
The organisation also supports trainers delivering food safety and allergy courses.
Allergy UK (opens in a new window) is the leading national charity dedicated to supporting people with food allergies.
Allergy UK provides up to date information on all aspects of allergy, food intolerance and chemical sensitivity.
The Anaphylaxis Campaign (opens in a new window) is an independent charity guided by UK allergists.
Anaphylaxis is a severe and potentially fatal allergic reaction to peanuts and other foods. The campaign's purpose is to help people at risk from severe allergic reactions and anaphylaxis.
The Anaphylaxis Campaign is a membership-based organisation which provides information and support, primarily to its members and to potential members, but also to the media, health professionals and food companies.
Coeliac UK (opens in a new window) is an independent charity working for people with coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis (DH).
Its mission is to improve the lives of people living with the condition through support, campaigning and research.
Its vision is that the needs of people with coeliac disease and DH are universally recognised and met.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Buying food when you have a food allergy or food intolerance (220KB)
- Food allergen risk assessment for caterers (426KB)
- Food allergies could be a matter of life or death poster (247KB)
- Use of nuts in catering establishments - Food Standards Agency guidance (95KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - Bengali (3411KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - Hindi (2648KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - Polish (2466KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - Punjabi (2609KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - simplified Chinese (912KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - Thai (2131KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - traditional Chinese (2041KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - Turkish (1788KB)
- Allergen information for loose foods - Urdu (2471KB)