Help to live at home

Many people need an extra bit of help to live independently. This may be as a result of illness, a disability or just getting older.

In this section you can find information about receiving help with:

Personal Care - you will find information about home care services and personal assistants (PAs).

Help around the home - shopping and meals, home and garden maintenance, equipment to help you and housework and laundry.

Agencies and organisations who can help you

The Trusted Trader scheme can help you to find a reputable trader to help with jobs around the home.

If you are aged 60 or over then the Derbyshire Handy Van Network may be able to help you with small DIY tasks or minor repairs.

The Derbyshire Directory (opens in a new window) has a list of more than 2,700 local community groups and not-for-profit services where you may be able to get support.

You can get more information about finding help to live at home by contacting Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.

Our brokerage service may be able to find a suitable service to assist you.

If you need an assessment

You do not need an assessment to arrange and purchase your own services from the providers or agencies listed above. Our brokerage service can help you with this.

But for some services you may need an assessment to see if you are eligible for help. The assessment will look at what you need to make life easier for you. To arrange an assessment please Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.

We provide more information on the assessment process in our my care journey section.

Don't be lonely

Sometimes living independently in your own home can lead to loneliness and social isolation. A number of voluntary organisations offer befriending services that can provide supportive help in these situations.

Our getting out and about section has lots of information about activities and services such as luncheon clubs, 50+ forums and day opportunities for both older people and people with learning disabilities.

You can find information about the Blue Badge scheme, disabled access and transport in our support to get out and about section.

The Derbyshire Directory (opens in a new window) has a list of services which provide activities and opportunities to help you get out and involved with your local community.

Volunteering is one of the most fulfilling ways of getting involved and willing volunteers are sought by various organisations across Derbyshire.

Maximising your income to help you live at home

Our welfare benefits advice team can check you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to and give you details about how to apply. You can contact them by emailing or calling our benefits helpline, 11am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, on 01629 531535.

Staying well

Our health and wellbeing section has lots of practical advice about staying well for as long as possible.

Going into hospital in either a planned way or as the result of an emergency raises a number of practical issues. Our section on hospital stays gives details about what help we can offer you.

First Contact Derbyshire signposting scheme

The first contact scheme is an easy way for people to be put in touch with a wide range of local services simply by using one point of contact.

Are you worried about someone?

If after reading the information on this website you feel you need to make a referral for yourself or someone else, please Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 or visit the Safer Derbyshire (opens in a new window) website. We are working to protect people who may be vulnerable because of their age, an illness, mental capacity or a disability.

Complaint, comment or compliment

If you have a complaint, comment or compliment about adult care services then please see our complaints process.

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

Information on other websites

How useful did you find this page?

Not useful

Very useful

Thank you for rating this page

You can provide further feedback using our Contact us form